While many home maintenance priorities come in the form of unexpected problems that need solving ASAP, your home’s exterior cleaning needs can easily be planned out in advance by establishing an Exterior Cleaning Schedule for your property.
There are a few basic steps homeowners should follow to create a thorough, cost-effective plan for cleaning of windows, home exterior, and outdoor living spaces.
1. Identify maintenance cleaning needs for your home.
Most homes require the following services to maintain the appearance and extend the life of your property.
- Window Cleaning: Regular cleaning of your window glass, sills, and frames improves your view, increases the life of your windows, and helps prevent permanent damage, such as hard water staining.
- SoftWashing & Pressure Washing: SoftWashing gently removes mold, mildew and dirt from your home’s siding and trim, while pressure washing uses the force of water to restore the appearance and safety of hardscape surfaces, like patios and walkways.
- Gutter Cleaning: Regular gutter cleaning is essential to maintain proper function of and prevent permanent damage to your gutter system and roofing, which directs water away from your siding and foundation.
2. Find a reputable contractor.
Many residential contractors provide multiple services to residential customers. However, you need to be careful to ask the right questions before hiring someone to be your jack-of-all trades. Make sure to ask the right questions:
- How long has the company been in business?
- What is its reputation? What do its online reviews look like?
- Do service technicians receive the proper training and undergo pre-hire background checks?
- Does the contractor carry the proper levels of insurance – workers compensation, auto and general liability? Ask to see a certificate of insurance.
- Does the office answer my phone calls and respond to inquiries promptly?
- Can the contractor deliver multiple services to simplify scheduling?
3. Create a custom schedule that makes sense for your property.
One of the most popular questions customers ask us is: “How often should this service be performed?” The answer varies depending on the service type, your home’s building substrates, and environmental conditions at your property. Generally, for window cleaning, a semiannual schedule (every 6 months) is sufficient to maintain your windows’ appearance. For SoftWashing and pressure washing, an annual or semiannual frequency is appropriate depending on the moisture and sunlight conditions at your home. Finally, gutter cleaning often follows a semiannual schedule, with cleanings scheduled for the spring/summer and fall/winter. More frequent gutter cleaning service may be needed if your home is surrounded by tall trees.
Consult your contractor to determine the proper schedule for your home, and then book your appointments out in advance at the beginning of each year to avoid service delays that can occur when your contractor gets backed up during the warmer months.
4. Look for ways to save money and simplify.
Many contractors offer savings opportunities – ask whether there are opportunities to reduce your annual service cost.
- Service Plan Pricing: Bundling multiple services together or pre-scheduling service throughout the year often unlocks discount savings in the form of service plans. Ask your contractor about this way to save.
- Seasonal Discounts: Exterior cleaning is a seasonal business in the mid-Atlantic. Many contractors offer winter discounts and promotions during the slower months of January and February.